To set up an online account for tax filing, your business must be registered with the Tennessee Department of Revenue. Business registration for sales and use tax requires the completion of a registration application. You may complete and submit this application online or download a paper application and mail to the address on the application. After the application is processed you will receive a certificate of registration.
Once your business is registered, you can create a TN.gov account to use the Sales and Use Tax Online Filing service.
Your account will be set up using your company’s entity ID number. You can add multiple locations under one entity ID number.
- To create a TN.gov account, click on the “register” link at http://apps.tn.gov/sales/. There is no charge for creating a TN.gov account or for using the Sales and Use Tax Online Filing service.
- You will self assign one master administrator user name and password. In order to complete the registration process, you must print a completed service agreement and send in a signed copy to the Department of Revenue.
- The master administrator may authorize up to 9 additional usernames and passwords for other users.
- To authorize a user, click the "Users Add" button on the TN.gov Account Summary page. Enter the user information and issue a username and password. Be sure to check the appropriate box to give this user Administrator Access. Administrator Access means that you are giving this authorized user access to add other authorized users and add locations. He or she has almost the same privileges as you, the Master Administrator, except he or she cannot give or take away administrator access to other users. Also, an individual who has administrator access cannot delete your account. You can give as many people as you would like administrator access and un-check the box at any time to take this access away.
- You can now edit and/or delete this user if necessary.
- Click the “Log out” button.
- Access the Web site http://apps.tn.gov/sales/ and login with your username and password to add business locations and file returns.
- To add a location, click the "Add Location" button. You must enter location account information, which includes company name, account number, location address, mailing address, and payment information. Click the "Save" button.
- You can now edit and/or delete this location if necessary.
- Added locations will be listed on the accounts administration page.
- To begin filing a return, click on the sales tax account number on the accounts administration page.
- If you do not need to file a return at this time, click on the "Log Out" button.
Once you have an account set up online and have entered your locations, you can file a return.
- Log in to your account, using your username and password.
- If you need to make changes to account information, click on the “Edit Account” button. If you need to delete an account, click on the “Delete Account” button.
- Click on the account number to begin to file a return.
- Enter your filing period information and select a filing option (filing with payment, filing only or a zero return). Click on the “Continue” button to file or click on the “Save and Exit” button to complete return at a later date.
- Enter your State and Local Sales and Use Tax return information.
- Click the Schedule buttons to enter any exempt transactions. Note Schedule B, which is the computation of local sales and use tax, is required. Once exempt transactions are entered click the “Return to Page 1” button. Calculated values will be updated when you click the “Return to Page 1” button. Click the "Continue" button to file or the “Save and Exit” button to complete the return at a later date.
- Review your return. If you need to make a correction, select the "Edit" button, if you are ready to file, select the “Continue to Payment” button or if you wish to complete the return at a later date, select the “Save and Exit “ button.
- Based on the information you entered, a tax computation will be made and shown to you on this page. If you choose the filing with payment option, enter a payment amount and select a payment method. Payment information is pre-populated based on information you entered on the location information page. Payment may be made by credit card. We accept Master Card, Discover and American Express. You may choose the option to warehouse your payment. Payment warehousing is where you select a future settlement date for your payment. The settlement date must be at least 2 days in the future and can only be used when filing a current period. The option is not available after the 17th of the month or with credit card payments. If you need to add or make changes to payment information, click the “Edit” button. If you choose the filing only option, you will not need to enter payment information. If you feel the amount due is in error, click on the “Back” button to review your return and make changes.
- If the payment page is correct, click the “Continue” button to file return.
- Review and verify your payment information. To make changes to your payment information, click the “Edit Payment Information” button. To file your return, click the “Submit Return and Payment” button.
- You have now submitted a Tennessee Sales & Use Tax online return to be filed for your account and, if you chose the filing with payment option, you have authorized a Tennessee Sales & Use Tax online payment to be deducted.
- You will receive a confirmation page after you file your sales and use tax return. You may print this page for your records at the time of receipt or you may view and print this confirmation page at later date using the accounts administration page under the column titled confirmation. You may only view the confirmation page of the last return filed.
Please be aware that information you submit will be verified. If discrepancies are found, you will be notified by the Tennessee Department of Revenue.